Помощь - Поиск - Пользователи - Календарь
Полная версия этой страницы: Quivering lips - what does it mean?
forumnn.ru > School > School Discussions
eknodt
Kaogi does this funny thing with his lips when Alexander asks him to flext his neck. Shadow started doing this, not quite as pronounced, but noticably, when I ask him to follow my hand with hs chin to flex his neck and keep it there.

He also does it sometimes when i ask him something and he is trying really hard to figure out what i want but doesn't get it. Or if he thinks I'm going to ask for something he doesn't know yet what it might be.

This is something i've never seen in other horses/training methods, so I'm wondering whether this is indicative of a unique state of mind (a hightened form of intense concentration) that only happens in NHE "training"?

Am i reading too much into this?

eva
Lynne Gerard
My experiences with "lip quivering" are perceived as both "deep concentration" and "pleasure".
Bianca
Well, Evita even tries to suck on my arm when she is flexing, she likes this very much. Horses also they do this when you scratch them. If I remember correctly Alexander is touching his neck while flexing so this can cause the moving of the lips also. To make a horse flex you can look for a spot wich makes them flex and rub it, my older horse has such a spot.
Sky
Fanny is also doing this when she´s flexing. I also just need to scratch her on a few places then she begins with quivering her lips. I think that it´s a sign of pleasure and concentration, but I ain´t sure.
Zeepaardje
eknodt
Lynne Gerard
Bianca
Sky
You are right! smile.gif
We have discussed this question in the Russian part of forum. This chewing with a jaw is very natural. This movement means, that your horse "thinks" and tries to understand what you ask. Most of all you can observe quivering lips at the moment of vertical flexion, like here:

So, you are on the right way! :wink:
SilverFlake
QUOTE(Lynne Gerard)
My experiences with "lip quivering" are perceived as both "deep concentration" and "pleasure".

I've always seen it in that way too, but... I've quite often seen the previous mare I took care of doing it, whenever my teacher sat on her and made her know 'who the boss was'. Tulle (the mare) was quite lazy, so my teacher always had to 'wake her' and show she was the boss. then my teacher would tell me, 'see, she loves to work!'. Though, it was hard for me to imagine what fun there was in getting wiped until you were all tense dancing around.... sad.gif
Olesya Biyakova
[quote="SilverFlake"]Though, it was hard for me to imagine what fun there was in getting wiped until you were all tense dancing around.... [quote=eknodt]happens with direct flexion, but licking lips means a horse listen to you, and ready to be taught, a good sign. :wink: [quote="eknodt"]this is indicative of a unique state of mind (a hightened form of intense concentration) that only happens in NHE "training"? [/quote]State of mind and true collection.
wildhorse
Hi,

my gelding often uses his lower lip as deep protest, e.g. when he wants to eat or go somewhere else. He opening it wide and moving it fast, but without opening his teeth. So he's talking to me, looks extremely funny. Sometimes when he wants to go a different way, he is doing the same, looking and nicking into "his" direction.

When they use the mouth to lick and smack, they are deeply content with something, e.g. a good hoof trim.

Same with the "cleaning face", that is when they stretch their neck and point/contract their upper lip.

Then there is a beggars chewing, when they chew on one side, drawing their lips to one side and slightly nibbling, also with stretched neck.

Greetings
Sonja
fairyphyre
Sonja,

You just described perfectly with the beggar's lip what my gelding did the first time I saw him and was drawn to him which lead to me buying him. He still does it when he wants food or for me to come in and see him. I just never realized til now exactly what he was doing. biggrin.gif
whiskeysmom
yesterday, while Whiskey was in his stall and after a meal,hay and 4 large carrots, then a grooming, he walked to the door and just hung his head over my shoulder relaxed. His eyes were half closed, and his rear leg lifted just enough to put the weight on the other side of his body. I noticed however, his chin quiverred. So I did the same thing as he did, with an occasional licking my lips. He relaxed even more. He was perfectly calm. For Whiskey, I believe this is his content reaction?
Для просмотра полной версии этой страницы, пожалуйста, пройдите по ссылке.
Форум IP.Board © 2001-2014 IPS, Inc.