IPB

Здравствуйте, гость ( Вход | Регистрация )

Ответить в данную темуНачать новую тему
> Interview with a trot Trainer., Would you help me?
Juliiya
сообщение 17.4.2009, 0:01
Сообщение #1

Из: sweden

My work about ”The truth about Harness racing”
In need of information, pictures and good questions. if you would want to help?

Hi everyone. Im doing a investigation and a work about ”the truth about harness racing”. This is my biggest shcool work of the year an i was offered to use any subject i wanted so i decided to take one of the equstiran sport since i want to go in deep about the subject. I choosed Harness racing. Im taking som information about it on the internet but the most importent thing is my interview with the harness racing trainer and driver Thomas Uhrberg(Trainers Website) in sweden.

Before the interview i have to know everything about harness racing so i can choose qusteion that will make him say the truth and give oneself away. I have to sample some sharp question that will effect him and put him in a place where he dont know what to say. I would really love to have some help with this, if you would want to help me?
do you have any good questions i could ask him? That you also would like to have an answear to.

1. usefull information about racing? Different equipment, injuries, slaughter, and other information.
  2. pages about racing?
  3. Pictures on equipment, injuries, horse in racing, an other pictures. And if you want to give a picture to my can you also describe what’s going on on the picture if it is something special.
  4. Storys about race horses that has gone bad?

If you have some idees or tips to my work, please dont hesitate to tell me i need everything i can get!

When im done with my interview i will put his answears here so you also can read them, and when im done mith my hole assignment i can also put it here. I thought mabey you would be intressted about the interview. Btw, when im at his stable i will also take some pictures that i will put here. I really want to make this a a really good work, because if i get new information and a really great work mabey i can send it to a magazine or something like that. I Want to make everyone understand how horrible harness racing is, i want to go in deep and show them that this is horse abuse!

Love Julia

Сообщение отредактировал Juliiya - 18.4.2009, 9:10

--------------------
JULIa NORDeNSKIÖLD
Visit My diary.

+Цитировать сообщение
Janene
сообщение 18.4.2009, 11:52
Сообщение #2

Из: Australia

QUOTE(Juliiya @ 17.4.2009, 0:01) *
My work about ”The truth about Harness racing”
In need of information, pictures and good questions. if you would want to help?

Hi everyone. Im doing a investigation and a work about ”the truth about harness racing”. This is my biggest shcool work of the year an i was offered to use any subject i wanted so i decided to take one of the equstiran sport since i want to go in deep about the subject. I choosed Harness racing. Im taking som information about it on the internet but the most importent thing is my interview with the harness racing trainer and driver Thomas Uhrberg(Trainers Website) in sweden.

Before the interview i have to know everything about harness racing so i can choose qusteion that will make him say the truth and give oneself away. I have to sample some sharp question that will effect him and put him in a place where he dont know what to say. I would really love to have some help with this, if you would want to help me?
do you have any good questions i could ask him? That you also would like to have an answear to.

1. usefull information about racing? Different equipment, injuries, slaughter, and other information.
  2. pages about racing?
  3. Pictures on equipment, injuries, horse in racing, an other pictures. And if you want to give a picture to my can you also describe what’s going on on the picture if it is something special.
  4. Storys about race horses that has gone bad?

If you have some idees or tips to my work, please dont hesitate to tell me i need everything i can get!

When im done with my interview i will put his answears here so you also can read them, and when im done mith my hole assignment i can also put it here. I thought mabey you would be intressted about the interview. Btw, when im at his stable i will also take some pictures that i will put here. I really want to make this a a really good work, because if i get new information and a really great work mabey i can send it to a magazine or something like that. I Want to make everyone understand how horrible harness racing is, i want to go in deep and show them that this is horse abuse!

Love Julia

Hi Julia! If you go to your country's harness racing site you should be able to access all info re 'wastage' (slaughter, breakdowns etc), breeding data etc. be fully armed with these figures, know them inside out! Ask him about the wastage in his stable...what age he breaks them at and in what way. Most harness trainers use a car driven jogger...this is where the horses are tied to a big frame which is towed by a car...unfortunately some trainers use these to 'teach' a horse to lead too. It can be very traumatic physically for the horse ..for the drivers will not stop sometimes, when the horse falls they just drag it. (grave lumabr-sacral injuries are 'normal' for the harness horse and this technique...working them on a jogger, is the main leader amongst the cuases of it).
Ask about the types of overchecks he uses...where and how they work in the mouth. I keep promising my bit submission...it is coming, that has xrays of overchecks in use and a few pics plus all the papers the work refers too...it WILL be up soon. Google overchecks and look into them anyway.
Does he trot or pace horses, or does he have a mixed stable? Terrible injuries can be inflicted with hobbles, esp if trainers are pushing the horses hard. Learn the biomechanics of the horse in those paces and you will find the questions re anatomy and physiology to ask him!
Learn about and ask him about pulmonary heamorrhage...and what drugs he uses to stop it. (I have a list somewhere here on my comp...)
Learn about shoeing tactics for trotters and pacers and ask him anatomical questions about the weighting of harness horses hooves...and perhaps how this physiologically then affects the horses.
Ask him about stable vices and how they deal with them...tell him the basics of research on the actual psychological causes of them and what his opinion is about it.
I can get you a list of well known undetectable drug mixes trainers use (might mention here I don't use them, don't agree with them, am disgusted by them...I just have a few old contacts that will tell me anonymously)...maybe throw them at him see what he says about the drug use! Using the 'lay names' of them should at least raise his eyebrows! Such as simple things like 'milkshakes' (no it doesn't have anything to do with milkshakes!).
I have too many ideas...one more...ask him about collapsing airways and the devices they use to keep the airway open.
I will try to get time to get some links together and PM you with them!
The only other thing I can suggest is that you dont' try and corner him...stick to your facts of what you know and know well, that is your only way to 'show him up'...it is difficult to trap these wiley old players, they are used to avoiding dectection of wrong-doing even amongst themselves! Being smart enough to ask the difficult questions 'innocently' will do much more harm to the industry than trying to corner them into hanging themselves LOL!
When is your deadline?
Good luck with this...I'll be happy to help where I can!
Cheers, Nene

--------------------
you are, and you will be in every way, whatever energy is passing in and through you

+Цитировать сообщение
Lovisa
сообщение 18.4.2009, 13:30
Сообщение #3

Из: Svansjö Gård , SWE

Djurens rдtt about the industry

And if you havent seen it tv4.se go to Kalla fakta and 'del 14 08.11.30'

Edit:
I haven't heard about jogging here but i have heard of using 'milkshake'. It is gone from the horses body after the race and can not be detected by any tests. It keeps the muscles from getting 'mjцksyra' (milkacid? lactic acid?) i don't know the english word. So they can run faster and longer. But when it wears out the horse is dead beat and often they can hardly walk afterwards.

Love,

Сообщение отредактировал Lovisa - 18.4.2009, 13:37

--------------------
Lovisa Nilsson
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant but has forgotten the gift."
Albert Einstein

+Цитировать сообщение
Juliiya
сообщение 18.4.2009, 16:18
Сообщение #4

Из: sweden

Julia! If you go to your country's harness racing site you should be able to access all info re 'wastage' (slaughter, breakdowns etc), breeding data etc. be fully armed with these figures, know them inside out! Ask him about the wastage in his stable...what age he breaks them at and in what way. Most harness trainers use a car driven jogger...this is where the horses are tied to a big frame which is towed by a car...unfortunately some trainers use these to 'teach' a horse to lead too. It can be very traumatic physically for the horse ..for the drivers will not stop sometimes, when the horse falls they just drag it. (grave lumabr-sacral injuries are 'normal' for the harness horse and this technique...working them on a jogger, is the main leader amongst the cuases of it).

Hi Janene! Thank you for your very usefull and great post! I tried finding swedens harness racing site i couldn’t find it though. Mabey someone from sweden knows the name on it?. What do you mean by wastage ( couldn’t find the translation in swedish) do you mean how many he has send to slaughter? Yes thats a very good question, when he breaks them in? What teqniques he use, why? And what equipment he use on the ’new’ horses and the elder ones? I dont think they use ”joggers” in sweden but i will look in to it, do you know why they use this jogger? do they use it when they break in the horse? Do you know any pages about this? mabey i can write about it in my work.

About the Lumbar-sacral injuries, do you know what kind of injuries? Do you know any pages on this? Can other things in harness racing cause this?

Ask about the types of overchecks he uses...where and how they work in the mouth. I keep promising my bit submission...it is coming, that has xrays of overchecks in use and a few pics plus all the papers the work refers too...it WILL be up soon. Google overchecks and look into them anyway.

By how they work in the mouth do you mean what damages they do, and if he use another bit in the mouth. I should look into overchecks and know evrything about it and see how i answers to it. The bit submission, the xrays and the pictures would be great, and very usefull! By that i can ask him what he sees in the pictures and than explain what it is and how it effects the horse.

Does he trot or pace horses, or does he have a mixed stable? Terrible injuries can be inflicted with hobbles, esp if trainers are pushing the horses hard. Learn the biomechanics of the horse in those paces and you will find the questions re anatomy and physiology to ask him!

He has trot horses only i think. How does injuries by punishing make the horse hobble is it the overstrain by the horse? I’ll try learning the biomechanics of the horse until the deadline, do you know any page with this information though?
about and ask him about pulmonary heamorrhage...and what drugs he uses to stop it. (I have a list somewhere here on my comp...)

By pulmonary heamorrhage do you mean like lungbleeding? Do they use drogs to stop this i didn’t know that, and do they keep competing and train the horse even if it has pulmonary heamorrhage? I have heard many race horses have lungbledding and that makes them bleed from the nose, do they have some sort of drog that stop the bleeding from the nose so it can’t be noticeable for the vetrinarians at the competitions? A list would be very good! smile.gif

Learn about shoeing tactics for trotters and pacers and ask him anatomical questions about the weighting of harness horses hooves...and perhaps how this physiologically then affects the horses.

On his website he said something about angles of the shoed hoof, do you know if this have any effect on the horse hoof? By weighting do you mean the wear on the hoof? I know some harness trainers and driver take of the horses shoes right before start, this most be very damegning to the horse, i dont know why they do that though.

Ask him about stable vices and how they deal with them...tell him the basics of research on the actual psychological causes of them and what his opinion is about it.

That is a very good question. Do you mean that after his answer i can tell him the cause of them and why it happends, and his opinion on my research.

I can get you a list of well known undetectable drug mixes trainers use (might mention here I don't use them, don't agree with them, am disgusted by them...I just have a few old contacts that will tell me anonymously)...maybe throw them at him see what he says about the drug use! Using the 'lay names' of them should at least raise his eyebrows! Such as simple things like 'milkshakes' (no it doesn't have anything to do with milkshakes!).

By drugs do mean thoose trainers and drivers use to make the horse ”run faster”. What is Lay names? ” In horse racing lingo, it's called "milkshaking." Under cover of darkness or a blanket, a handler inserts a tube into a horse's nostril, directs it to the stomach and feeds the animal a baking-soda solution in the hope of helping it run faster.” This milkshakes is awfull i wonder how that effects the horse in a neagtiv way.

I have too many ideas...one more...ask him about collapsing airways and the devices they use to keep the airway open.

I love your ideas! So keep on telling me wink.gif When horses is trying to get away from the bit they lay their tongue over the bit ( As you probebly know) I know many trainers that fasten the tongue to the lower jaw so the horse can’t take the tongue over the bit. Than the horse is trying to get away from this by pulling back the head and the horse than get a hard time breathing, and so the horse can get away from the bit by doing that they place a ”pullburk” on the horse. The black round thing on the picture.

I think this is awfull, but how does collpased airways happend is it beacuse of what i just described? And btw thats a very good question!

I will try to get time to get some links together and PM you with them!
The only other thing I can suggest is that you dont' try and corner him...stick to your facts of what you know and know well, that is your only way to 'show him up'...it is difficult to trap these wiley old players, they are used to avoiding dectection of wrong-doing even amongst themselves! Being smart enough to ask the difficult questions 'innocently' will do much more harm to the industry than trying to corner them into hanging themselves LOL!

Thanks for the tips. Well he is the one of most succesfull trot trainers in sweden and i’ve heard that he is very straight on and he says what he thinks. People almost get scared of him sometimes more than respect. So i have to prepare my question really good, and know evrything inside and out because i think he is a real ”snake”. But im just a ”innocent school girl” haha, and mabey i dont have such a hard time like a reporter. Playing nice and sticking to the fact like you said is very good. But when im doing the interview should’nt i say anything about my on opinions? Well i dont think i want to hear my opinions becasue they are not very nice. But the thing they can always come with is ” i care about my horses” ”we have a great band” ” they like to run” ” I dont use any weird equipments” and other things. How should i attack these questions? Do you also think it is a good idee to show him picture, and hear what he has to say about it?

When is your deadline?

My hole work is gonna be handed in week 20, and under that time i could do the interview with him at any time. He said i could come by either Mondays, wendsday, Thursday at the morning if i called first.

luck with this...I'll be happy to help where I can!

Im very happy for the great help, this really inspired me! It gonna be hard since im not a reporter and i dont know all the teqniques. And im sorry that i ask sooo many questions, but you are just so full of answers smile.gif, i hope its okey. Tell if its something you dont understand, hard writing what i mean.
Love julia

--------------------
JULIa NORDeNSKIÖLD
Visit My diary.

+Цитировать сообщение
Janene
сообщение 19.4.2009, 3:28
Сообщение #5

Из: Australia

HI! wow, lots of questions! I will answer as briefly as I can! Wastage is the loss of the horse to the racehorse industry..it can be slaughter, breakdowns, 'unexplained death', catastrophic injury on the racecourse and etc.
The jogger is simply a large metal frame which any number of horses can be tied to. It allows one person to work maybe 4-8 horses at a time from the car. The main purpose is working them, but many trainers also use them to force the horse to lead. They use a solid nylon halter and usually a (car) seatbelt type of neckrope as these things are nearly unbreakable, fix them to the frame and drive. Some drivers have been known to continue driving when a horse goes down. Ridiculous. They will continue to drive if the horse pulls back. This is why the lumbar sacral injury happens. I will truly do my best to provide you with pics of these...but I am really busy! Lumbar Sacral injuries can also be caused with the hobbles. That I can get you info on...

Yes in regards to the bits, how they work in the mouth means what damage they cause. Overchecks are used in conjunction with another bit. As per your pic...the main reason for pulling and holding the head up like this is to hold the gait. When the horse tires or gets its head down to pull, the trot breaks and they are disqualified for this if a horse gallops for longer than a certain length of time.

Pulmonary Heam' is lungbleeding yes. I will find the drug names for you ...you google them then to find out more, there is a lot of info and it is frightening, but doing it that way makes it stick better in your mind than me just handing it over! Lungbleeding is only reported if visible out of the nose. I will send you a link I have on a vet study on this.

No, weighting the hoof is actually done by screwing lead weights to the toe of the horse. Various weights and positions changes the way the horse goes. Angles are used to the same effect and the shoes are removed proir to racing so as to remove weight...thus perhaps run faster. ALso sometimes the weights/angles are used to effect a change in the horses gait a certain way...and the removal then causes another change to create more speed.

Yes, milkshakes are the bi-carb mix...they also feed it too, acts differently and they train on that, removing it one day prior to racing. milkshake is the lay term. All the mixes on the list I will get in layterms and the ingredients. research the ingredients to familiarise yourself on the damages of of those drugs.

The airways of a horse can collapse in exhaustion. The devices are made to hold open the nostrils so they can still run the horse exhausted.

In your interview remember the main purpose is to get HIS opinion not yours. Reporting is a bit of an art...your questions need to be structured in such a way that he can freely give his opinion and it doesn't give a choice NOT to answer the question straightforwardly. Then back up that question with info proving the damage by his answer...and give him a chance to air his opinion on that! Trust that his answers will land him in the hot water...this is what I mean by not trying to trap him. Skillfully done he will trap himself. If you are not properly prepared he will confuse you and upset you, and he will turn the questions around to try and proove you know nothing.
I might be able to put you in touch with an experienced reporter friend..she is great! I will ask her if she could help check your questions if you like?
Maybe a good idea is to post the questions you are thinking of asking BEFORE the interview...practice with us!! We will play the part of the racehorse trainer..I know myself what he will likely say in response to some questions LOL!

I dont' know what date is week 20! How much time do you have?
PM me if you like...or even email...will get back to you shortly! I dont' actually have many links or pages I am sorry...unfortunately it is all in my head from seeing this, not from reading. sad.gif I was very young too, so I could never stand up to the trainers either.
Cheers Nene

--------------------
you are, and you will be in every way, whatever energy is passing in and through you

+Цитировать сообщение

Ответить в данную темуНачать новую тему